THE TOUGHEST SEASON EVER!! Kirin drop points in home match loss

SCG Muangthong United continue wth their worst start to a season in club history dropping 3 points at home to 4th place Samut Prakan City. Once again, the Kirin were on the losing end of a match with very little separating the two teams, the difference being the opponents were able to capitalize on their scoring chances.


The outcome of the match was somewhat brought about early on when key centre back Oh Ban Suk had to be removed from the game with another injury. The tall South Korean defender had already sat out most of the Kirin's games due to a knee injury in the second match of the season.

This forced Coach Yoon to bring in Charyl Chappuis as the defensive midfielder, allowing Lee Ho to drop to the centre back role along side Adison Pomrak. Weerawut and Patcharapol were give the wing-back duties, alternating with Adison and also Saringkan.

Thailand international Sarach Yooyen was the key passing midfielder, looking to find ways to get the ball to Heberty or Korrawich, while Teerasil played the striker role once again.

At first Kirin fans were set up to expect some goals when within 8 seconds Teerasil Dangda managed a shot on target. It was, however, to be their only shot on target for the half, and it was easily caught by the Samut Prakan City goalkeeper.

Vietnam's national team keeper Dang Van Lam was sharp for the Kirin and important in keeping the score at 0-0 through to halftime. This began at 5' with a key fingertip nudge on a free kick to give Samut Prakan their first corner of the match.

The next few minutes saw Heberty Fernandes with a free kick in prime location for the left footed attacker to score, as he's done many times in past seasons. His attempt was directed at the wall on the narrow side, but off a defender for a Kirin corner kick.

It was in the ensuing play that Oh Ban Suk went up for the header and come down badly. After a few minutes on the side line with the medics it was clear he was unable to continue.

Throughout the half both teams traded possession. Samut Prakan had the better chances, with key saves on attempts in side the box as the forwards kept finding ways to get past the Kirin left back and charge at goal.

The half ended with what looked like a sure goal when Korrawich Tasa showed once again he can shake off tackles and penetrate the final third. His pass across the box came to Heberty, but instead of taking the early shot at the open net, he elected to control the ball first. This gave the keeper a chance to get back into position and make the save.

With no goals on the board the second half began with Samut Prakan City on the attack and looking for a quick go-ahead goal. Once again Van Lam was key, coming off his line to block the shot.

After a flurry of pressure, the Kirin regained control of the match and began to press. Heberty was to be granted a coupe of free kicks from about 30 yards distant. The first was into the wall, but the second was a low drive that made it through, and Weerawut was just a step away from connecting for the goal.

Then at 56' it appeared Muangthong United had a goal as Korrawich maneuvered his way into a shot that went off the post and out to Heberty who slotted home, but the goal was called back as offside.

With the Kirin coaching staff furious at the referee, Samut Prakan City were able to counter with pressure and a few moments later had a goal with a soft looping cross from the right wing that made it over Van Lam and into the net.

Muangthong United showed determination to find the equalizer, with chances for Teerasil and also Charyl Chappuis, but both were unable to find the back of the goal when they needed to.

Instead, Samut Prakan City continued to take advantage of the Kirin's defensive weakness with another attack from the left of goal that saw the forward in alone. Again Lam came out to block but there wasn't enough time and the Kirin were down 2-0 with 15 minutes to play. A third goal soon followed much in the same style.

The Kirin fans have remained strong despite the poor results so far this season. The 7,500+ in attendance were behind their team in the spirit of true supporters.

SCG Muangthong United will play again on May 15th in the Toyota League Cup Round of 32 away against Police Tero FC. Then the Kirin travel for away matches in Suphanburi and Buriram. The next home match is set for May 29th against Sukhothai.

38 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

© Muangthong United &

  • Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • periscope