LEAGUE CUP ADVANCE: The Kirin come from behind to earn promotion to quarters

SCG Muangthong United thrilled the 8,000+ in attendance with a come from behind 2-1 victory in the Toyota League Cup Round of 16.


Played on a soggy pitch following several hours of heavy rain preceding kickoff, the match was a feisty battle between Bangkok's two best teams.

Bangkok United were clearly not the same team that 10 days ago the Kirin dispatched 4-0 in Thai League action. The Angels were on the board first at the 21st minute with a set piece. The corner kick was taken along the turf towards the edge of the box. Dragan Boskovich stepped over the ball, allowing it to run on to Nigerian forward Jaycee Okwunwanne, who had enough time to turn to the net and hit one in through a maze of players.

The Angels were better able to turn over the ball in the midfield and force errors. A case in point was Charyl Chappuis's header towards the back line that instead ended up on Boskovich's feet. The ensuing rush on goal very nearly produced the second goal.

Yet SCG Muangthong United held the ball well for long moments of the first half, and had the better share of possession. Teerasil almost had the equalizer at 33 minutes with the cross in from Theerathon. Finding himself in between two defenders, Teerasil took the cross on the volley but the attempt was over the bar.

Approaching the half time mark, Heberty attempted to set up either Leandro or Teerasil with through balls down the middle as the Kirin attack intensified. Just before the halftime whistle, Tristan Do had a clean shot from the top of the box after a nice setup, however his strike was right at the keeper for an easy block.

The second half opened at the same furious pace. Within five minutes both teams had excellent chances at goal, first Mario Gjurovski's shot from 20 yards was tipped over the bar by Kawin.

Then Tristan and Heberty both had chances from inside the penalty area, only to have their attempts blocked as well.

At the 60th minute Sarach Yooyen subbed in, much to the delight of the home crowd, happy to see the national team midfielder back from injury.

Moments later the Kirin had a free kick from prime location following a yellow card foul on Leandro, however Theerathon's attempt curled in too close allowing the keeper, Kittipong, to punch clear to safety.

Shortly after, Leandro Assumpcao was upended once again, this time inside the box, and the penalty was given. Leandro made no mistake with the strike, hitting it hard, and even though Kittipong got a glove on it as he dove right, the pace was too much for him.

Inspired, the Kirin kept up the pressure. Teerasil pushed for the go ahead goal, taking Sarach Yooyen's header and charging at the net, his shot barely wide of the right post. Minutes later Peerapat bounces the ball low to Heberty, his attempt just shy of goal to the left.

With ten minutes to go Bangkok United created a chance, however, Celio Santos was there to clear the ball back towards centre. Soon after Peerapat was subbed out and Adisak Kraisorn entered the game, with Coach Totchtawan no doubt hoping the additional striker would bring the go-ahead goal.

Yet it was Teerasil who put the Kirin ahead at 89 minutes, taking the through ball from Heberty int towards goal, suggesting he might pass towards Leandro, but then chipping it past the keeper, who almost had the block.

SCG Muangthong United will now have a two week break in action with the national team playing friendly games, including against Kenya at the SCG Stadium next Sunday, October 8th. Then, October 14th, league action resumes with Thai Honda F.C. visiting the SCG Stadium.

39 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

© Muangthong United &

  • Wix Facebook page
  • Wix Twitter page
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • periscope